Based out of Los Angeles, Best Coast is Bethany Cosentino and Bobb Bruno. Blending vintage sounds of the 50's & 60's and girl group tones, creating the setting for a sunny, lazy day at the beach type vibe, Best Coast's music is highly mellow and laid back. Here, Bethany describes some of the things that make up Best Coast.
1. Is the full length completely finished being recorded...and what was that process like?
Yeah we finished all of the tracking in like a week and a half. It was really stressful and tiring, especially because we had such a short amount of time—but it was really fun, and probably one of the coolest experiences I have ever had in my life.
2. How would you describe Best Coast to someone unfamiliar with the music?
I think I said once “it’s like stoned love letters to an imaginary boyfriend” which is basically true.
3. Being in other bands before, how do you feel that has helped with this band?
well best coast is really different than any other band I have ever been in, but I guess I learned to be less nervous when performing, and to just have fun with it.
4. Do you feel that moving to NY, the end result helped you in starting Best Coast, or do you think that would of happened either way (at some other point.)?
yeah I really believe that I wouldn’t have started this band if I hadn’t of moved to new york. I mean really, moving there is what made me realize how much California means to me. I would never have experienced a real winter, which means I never would have turned to a band like the beach boys to get me though a crazy snow day.
5. What motivates you to write and play?
Just day to day life pretty much.
6. Having mentioned 50's/60's groups, the beach boys, etc., are there specific songs that stick out or you referred back to during writing?
I don’t really think there are specific songs—it’s more the sound in general that inspires me.
7. Who would be your dream tour and/or collaborator?
Best coast on tour with Fleetwood mac and Stevie nicks would sing all of the backup vocals and play tambourine.
8. Being a huge backer & defender of CA/LA, what are some of your favourite things to do, or places you like to visit?
i spend a lot of time at my house, and in the neighborhood I live in. I really just like to go to thrift stores, and eat Mexican food, haha! I mean the beach is awesome—but I live pretty far away from it, so I don’t go much. The best beach though is el matador in Malibu. There are the coolest rocks and caves!
9. Besides music, what else takes up most of your time?
hanging out with my cat, hanging out with my friends, weed, Mexican food, TV—haha, I’m a simple girl.
10. What are some bands you are currently listening to?
Peter & Gordon, beach house, neil young, the paramount’s, patsy cline, look blue go purple, the ramones.
Some old favourites/favourite records?
“tusk” Fleetwood mac, “flamingo serenade” the flamingos, “summer days (and summer nights!)” the beach boys
Anything you're looking forward to being released?
I’m looking forward to hearing the new wavves record, as well as the new abe vigoda record. This awesome band in LA called DUNES too is doing a EP this year on Mexican summer—I can’t wait to hear it.
Last cd/vinyl/digital purchased?
The everly brothers “songs our daddy taught us”, todd rundgren “hermit of mink hallow”
Last movie you saw & show you went to?
“Sherlock holmes” (it sucked)—last show I went to was abe vigoda in LA, and I’m going to see them tonight too—obviously I’m obsessed.