IO Echo are a band based out of Los Angeles (with the occasional Brit [who also plays bass for The Big Pink.]) Mixing together dark, pulsating sounds, encircled by an eerie texture, creates the haunting music of IO Echo.
IO Echo are IO on vocals, guitar and keyboard, Leopold Ross on guitar, and as part of the live band : Paul Rinis on drums, Aram Kirakosian, and Salvatore Romano on tambourine and keys. Here, IO herself delves further into the mystery that surrounds all things IO Echo.
1. Would you consider io echo a solo project?
io echo is the collaboration between myself and Leopold Ross. As time has elapsed we have begun collaborating more with the band.
2. What is the background of the band and how was the band started?
Leopold and I met at a seance. I raised him from the dead and he followed me home. I was thinking about starting a band at the time, so I told him he might as well make himself useful if he was just going to be hanging around. Leopold said that Jimi Hendrix had showed him the basics of guitar one night when they were chilling in hell, and that was that.
3. Where did the name originate and does it have a concrete meaning?
We wanted something abstract and not attached to any time period.
4. What sparks or influences the songwriting?
Colors, love, perpetual motion, feeling depressed.
5. If you weren't involved with music, what do you see yourself doing?
I'd be a murder detective. I watch a lot of First 48.
6. Having already played with some cool bands, who would you really like to tour with?
They're all dead.
7. Is there or do you have a certain way you approach working on a song?
Usually I'll get an idea in my head while in transit. Then I'll bring the idea to Leopold or he'll bring an idea to me. We get in a fist fight until something comes out of it that we both agree on.
8. Being based in Los Angeles, where are some of your favourite places/venues/shops?
The bat caves in Bronson park, Umami Burger, Shintaro.
9. Where do you come across bands or artists that are new to you?
Friends, general exploration.
10. What are some bands you are currently listening to?
Our tour mates right next month, The Big Pink. Also the XX.
Some old favourites/favourite records?
Aphex Twin, The Cramps, Jonathan Fire*Eater and not just cause they went to my school.
Last cd/vinyl/digital purchased?
I bought the D'Angelo song Brown Sugar because we want to cover it.
Last movie you saw & show you went to?
I saw Book of Eli in the cinema because Leopold from my band and his brother Atticus and sister in law Claude wrote the musical score. The last show I went to was Julian Plenti.