Joel Petersen, aka Broken Spindles, is one fifth of The Faint. Broken Spindles was originally started as a favour for a friend, who had requested instrumental music for a video project. Now with five albums and a second part to the last album Kiss/Kick, entitled Kiss/Kick Addendum, here Joel shares some insight into his project - Broken Spindles.
1. When was Broken Spindles formed and how did the project come about?
check the bio for this one, it goes into it pretty specifically. (( check out brokenspindles.com ))
2. How do you approach this project differently than you do with a band environment/setting?
i try to not dwell on the small stuff for too long, i want broken spindles music to feel free and true. i find that if i start to spend too much time on the minor details, i lose track of the song and the moment i am trying to capture. feeling and expression are the most important things.
3. What is the process of creating a song for you, what kind of approach do you take?
i tend to write the song first with some simple guitar chords and then move over to working in pro tools when i start to work out drum and bass ideas. once those are solid, i add all the little fun things to help keep the song moving along. but in general, it goes song first, then groove, then accents.
4. Is the music something you looked to create specifically, or did it grow naturally?
naturally. any time i have tried to push something out, it has sucked.
5. What would you say is the difference between Broken Spindles and the Faint?
6. Being involved with a band as well as a solo project, what are the benefits of each and which do you prefer?
doing solo stuff feels freer and faster but being in a group can be good when things are really clicking. ideas can go farther than they could by yourself.
7. What is your favored type of venue to play?
small with no neon beer signs or tvs.
8. Given your choice, who would you like to work with?
anyone who has great ideas.
9. You've remixed some tracks for other artists, how do you select the tracks to remix?
i try to let the band pick what track they would like remixed. i find that when i pick the track it always ends up being difficult to finish but when someone else picks it, i can just be free and do what comes naturally. expectations are a bitch.
10. What are some bands you are currently listening to?
brian mcbride, and eluvium are my current favs.
Some old favourites/favourite records?
sonic youth - daydream nation fugazi - red medicine my bloody valentine - loveless etc.
Last cd/vinyl/digital purchased?
i am a pirate and haven't purchased any music for a little while.
Last movie you saw & show you went to?
i am watching a movie right now, it is called 'ladies and gentlemen, the fabulous stains'. it isn't too good.